Which of the following three types of licenses you will need, highly depends on the type of work you plan to provide.
In order to become a contractor in Wyoming, you may need to apply for one of the following licenses:
- Class A General Contractor – he/she can do any construction, alteration, or repair work on any type/size structure;
- Class B Building Contractor – he/she can do any construction, alteration, or repair work on family residential construction and commercial buildings that are under 2500 square feet and one story in size;
- Class R Residential Contractor – he/she can perform any construction, alteration, addition, or repair work for single-family dwellings — that are attached — and buildings under three stories.
The types of plumbing licenses available in Wyoming are:
- Apprentice Plumber
- Journeyman Plumber
- Master Plumber
- Plumbing Contractor
- Wyoming Plumbing License Reciprocity
- Wyoming Master Plumbing License Requirements
- Master Plumber Exam
- Wyoming Plumbing Journeyman License Requirements
- Plumbing Journeyman Exam
- Wyoming Plumbing Apprenticeship Requirements
- Do I have to renew my license?
- Plumbing Trade Schools in Wyoming
Wyoming Plumbing License Reciprocity
When it comes to licensing reciprocity, in Wyoming, it again depends on the city you plan to work in, being that the state does not license plumbers.
This means that it is completely up to the respective local jurisdiction and your license from another state may be honored in Jackson, it may not be in Cheyenne.
In the majority of cities in Wyoming, individuals holding a license in another state will need to do some combination of up-training and examination to prove competency within the new state and get the license.
Wyoming Master Plumbing License Requirements
Master Plumbing license requirements in Wyoming may differ by the municipality, so it is our suggestion to contact your municipality for details.
Generally speaking, future master plumbers have to:
- Complete the required comprehensive, hands-on experience as a journeyman plumber.
- Sign up for your Master Plumbers exam on https://wsr.pearsonvue.com/icc/ or call 1-877-234-6082
- Once you pass your exams contact the Jurisdiction in which you are interested in obtaining a license are request an application for licensure
- Jackson- Town of Jackson Contractor License Application PO Box 1687, Jackson, Wyoming 83001 Phone: (307) 733-0520 Fax: (307) 734-3563
- Cheyenne- BUILDING SAFETY DEPARTMENT 2101 O’NEIL AVENUE, ROOM 202 CHEYENNE, WYOMING 82001 PHONE: (307) 637-6332 FAX: (307) 637-6366
Master Plumber Exam
The Wyoming Master plumbing exam consists of 100 Questions:
- 4% – Administration
- 7% – General Regulations
- 6% – Fixtures
- 4% – Water Heaters
- 11% – Water Supply & Distributions
- 16% – Sanitary Drainage
- 16% – Vents
- 7% – Traps, Interceptors, & Separators
- 1% – Storm Drainage
- 27% – Plan Reading
The Wyoming Master with Gas plumbing exam consists of 100 Questions related to the following subjects:
- 7% – Plumbing Fixtures and Terminology
- 13% – Plumbing Fundamentals
- 7% – Traps, Cleanouts, and Interceptors
- 6% – Special Requirements
- 8% – Drainage Requirements
- 9% – Vent Requirements
- 7% – Water Distribution
- 23% – Plan and Analysis
- 20% – Gas
This is an open book exam and your results, if you have taken the exam electronically, will be available immediately after completion of the examination.
Wyoming Plumbing Journeyman License Requirements
The state of Wyoming determines a journeyman as a professional that has gone through a four or five-year apprenticeship program in order to work on water and drainage systems within residential and commercial realms.
In order to become a journeyman plumber in Wyoming you need to go through several steps:
- Complete a four-year, direct hands-on exposure to the trade through apprenticing a journeyman plumber;
- Sign up for and pass the journeyman plumber exam;
- Contact the respective local jurisdiction within Wyoming that you are obtaining a license to work in and apply for licensure.
Wyoming plumbing licenses are issued by:
Building Safety Department
2101 O’Neil Avenue, Room 202
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001
Phone: (307) 637-6332
Fax: (307) 637-6366
Plumbing Journeyman Exam
People who want to take a journeyman exam can do it online.
They can call 1-(877)-234-6082 to contact over the phone or contact your local representative for local testing facilities.
The exam costs $105, and you will need to provide answers to 70 multiple-choice questions.
A score of 75% is required to pass, so prepare well for this exam.
You can make use of generalized journeyman plumbing test guides and plumbing practice tests available to help you prepare best for the licensing exam.
Wyoming plumbing exam will include topics such as:
- Administrative Procedures;
- Drainage Systems;
- Faucets, Fittings, and Fixtures;
- Pipes and Pipefitting;
- Sewage Systems;
- Trade Mathematics;
- Vents and Venting
- Water Supply and Distribution.
These are the items that you can bring to the Wyoming plumber exams:
- 2015 International Plumbing Code for both master and journeyman
- Reference(s) as listed in this Examination Information Bulletin for the applicable exam—no other reference material will be allowed into the testing center
- Notes that are written in ink or highlighted in code sections
- Permanently attached tabs
- Pencil notes in your references that are highlighted prior to arrival at the test center
- Magnifying glass
- Eyeglasses, if necessary
- Architects’ scale or rule
- Battery-operated calculator:
- Foreign language/English translation dictionaries, if needed
You can take the test at one of the testing locations:
Pearson Professional Centers – Casper WY
800 Werner Court, Suite 310
Aspen Creek Building
Casper, Wyoming 82601
Sheridan College, 1 Whitney Way
PO Box 1500
Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
Gillette College, 300 W. Sinclair
Gillette, Wyoming 82718
Western Wyoming College, 2500 College Dr. (Room # 2052)
Rock Springs, Wyoming 82902
University of Wyoming Testing Center, Knight Hall Basement, Rm 04
Laramie, Wyoming 82071
Wyoming Plumbing Apprenticeship Requirements
The first step towards your new plumbing career is finding an apprenticeship program.
Apprentice jobs are available through Build Our Wyoming.
The requirements for plumbing apprenticeship programs vary from provider to provider.
However, what is required are the following training combinations:
- Three to five years of on-the-job training under the direct supervision of a licensed plumber;
- Three to five years of formal classroom schooling.
You will get some sort of compensation for the work training that you perform, but do not expect too high salary, as the pay is generally around half of what pay would be if you were licensed.
Do I have to renew my license?
This is a very frequent question, and our suggestion is to check with your local municipality whether you need to renew your license and how often it should be done.
The renewal fees for Wyoming master plumber license vary from city to city, so, for example, in Cheyenne, the fees are $75 for a Plumbing Contractor License and $25 for a Master Plumber license.
Plumbing Trade Schools in Wyoming
School: Casper College
Contact Info: (307) 268-2100
Address: 125 College Dr, Casper, WY 83601
School: Laramie County Community College
Contact Info: (307) 778-5222
Address: 1400 E College Dr, Cheyenne, WY 82007
School: Western Wyoming Community College
Contact Info: (307) 382-1600
Address: 2500 College Dr, Rock Springs, WY 82901
The average Plumber salary in Wyoming is $51,158.
Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Plumbers in Wyoming
City Name Salary Cheyenne $52,147 Casper $53,549 Laramie $52,768 Gillette $50,856 Rock Springs $52,753 Sheridan $54,186 Green River $52,753 Evanston $53,190 Riverton $52,687 Cody $54,186