The process of obtaining your plumbing license in South Dakota will include on-the-job experience, training, and taking exams.
- South Dakota Plumbing License Reciprocity
- South Dakota Plumbing Contractor License Requirements
- South Dakota Plumbing Journeyman License Requirements
- Plumbing Exams
- The renewal of South Dakota plumbing license
- South Dakota Plumbing Apprenticeship Requirements
- South Dakota Plumbing Apprentice Jobs
- Plumbing Trade Schools in South Dakota
South Dakota Plumbing License Reciprocity
The South Dakota Plumbing Commission has reciprocal agreements with other states is a required fee is paid and if a person currently holds a license that the South Dakota Plumbing Commission deems comparable to that of a South Dakota plumbers license.
The states whose licenses are recognized as equivalent to the South Dakota Plumbing Commission plumbing licenses include:
- North Dakota
South Dakota Plumbing Contractor License Requirements
Those individuals who want to get a plumbing contractor license in South Dakota have to meet the following set of requirements:
- Have six years experience as a plumbing contractor, plumber, or plumber’s apprentice with at least two of those years as a plumbing contractor or plumber.
- Have spent at least 1,900 hours per year during these six years as a plumbing contractor, plumber, or plumber’s apprentice.
- Complete a Contractor Plumber Application
- Pay the $375 non-refundable application processing fee
- Accompany their application with written statements from present and previous employers which must state dates of employment, a number of hours worked during employment; and the type of work performed during employment.
- Pass the South Dakota plumber exam.
South Dakota Plumbing Journeyman License Requirements
The first step is to complete the plumbing application which will require information on the dates of your previous employment, the number of hours worked during this employment, the work you performed during your employment.
So as to be able to get a journeyman license, applicants must have obtained an apprentice’s license and must spend at least 1,900 hours per year working as an apprentice for the four years.
So as to be able to get your journeyman license you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Meet state requirements
- Have four years of experience as an apprentice plumber.
- Have spent at least 1,900 hours per year during these four years as an apprentice. Credit for military plumbing is given at the rate of one year credit for every two years in the military up to a maximum of five years of credit.
- Complete a Journeyman Plumber Application
- Pay the $205 non-refundable application processing fee
- Accompany your application with written statements from present and previous employers which must state dates of employment, a number of hours worked during employment, and the work performed during employment.
- Pass the South Dakota plumber exam.
You need to prepare for the South Dakota plumber exam and the subjects you need to focus on are mentioned below:
- General Regulations
- Plumbing Math
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Hands-On Practical Application
The locations where you can sit for an exam to become a licensed journeyman in South Dakota are Pierre, Sioux Falls, and Rapid City, SD.
Exams have to be scheduled and paid for through the South Dakota Plumbing Commission’s online licensing and payment system.
The renewal of South Dakota plumbing license
The Plumbing Commission sends out renewal notices at the end of September each year and license has to be renewed so as to remain active.
These are the steps that licensed plumbers must take:
- Complete the required 4-hours continuing education
- pay the renewal fee by sending in check or money order with their statements or they can go to http://plumbing.sd.gov and then to Online payments option, set up an account and pay online
- Provide proof of your continuing education.
The renewal fees for South Dakota plumbing licenses are:
- Plumbing contractor $275;
- Journeyman plumber $105;
- Restricted Plumbing Contractor $110,
- Restricted Journeyman Plumber $55,
- Apprentice plumbers (3rd year) $10.
South Dakota Plumbing Apprenticeship Requirements
Even though a plumber’s apprentice license application is very similar to a journeyman one, as they are the same form, there is a slight difference between these two.
To get your apprentice’s license, you will need to show proof that you have fulfilled the following requirements:
- Two years (3,800 hours) of experience, learning, and assistance in installing, altering, and the repair of plumbing under the supervision of a plumbing contractor.
- Pass a state-administered examination.
Apprentices will be allowed to work without supervision during their third and fourth years, but only on single-family dwellings and after they have passed a state-administered test.
South Dakota Plumbing Apprentice Jobs
If you are looking to become a plumbing apprentice in South Dakota, but you do not know how to find an appropriate employer, we suggest that you regularly check the following job boards:
Furthermore, you can take advantage of the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation website which also offers multiple places to register as an apprentice for workers and businesses.
When choosing where to start your apprenticeship, it is very important that you first look up and verify a plumber’s license to make sure that the employer is licensed and that the license is active.
In South Dakota, you can easily do this by visiting the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation’s licensee roster database provided by the South Dakota Board of Technical Professions.
The same tool can be used if you want to hire a plumber to solve some of your issues.
Plumbing Trade Schools in South Dakota
We offer you four primary places in South Dakota where plumbers can go to start their plumbing apprenticeships:
Midwestern Mechanical Rapid, Inc.
1865 Samco Rd.
Rapid City, SD 57702
Krohmer Plumbing – Michell, SD
401 South Ohlman
Michell, SD 57301
Krohmer Plumbing – Sioux Falls, SD
3505 N. 1st Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Western Dakota Tech
800 Mickelson Dr
Rapid City SD 57703
When compared to some other states, the salary of plumbers in South Dakota is quite lower, as the maximum amount of money that they can get per year is just $56293.
The average Plumber salary in South Dakota is $ 49204.
Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Plumbers in South Dakota
City Name Salary Sioux Falls $50,376 Rapid City $49,888 Aberdeen $46,847 Brookings $49,514 Watertown $49,514 Mitchell $49,514 Pierre $47,709 Yankton $48,411 Huron $48,181 Vermillion $47,307