Three types of plumbing licenses are available, and which one you want to reach depends on your experience level and what type of work you plan to do.
The four types of general contracting licenses are Class A, Class B, Class C, and Class D and according to the value of the contract work you plan to do, you can determine which one is necessary for you.
This is the maximum value allowed for any single contracting project with each license:
- Class D- $100,000
- Class C- $300,000
- Class B- $500,000
- Class A- Unlimited
The licenses available for plumbing are Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master.
- North Dakota Plumbing License Reciprocity
- North Dakota Master Plumbing License Requirements
- North Dakota Plumbing Journeyman License Requirements
- Plumbing Journeyman and Master Exam
- North Dakota Plumbing Apprenticeship Requirements
- North Dakota Plumbing Apprentice Jobs
- Plumbing Trade Schools in North Dakota
- How do I renew my North Dakota plumber license?
- North Dakota Professional License Search
North Dakota Plumbing License Reciprocity
The good thing to know is that North Dakota has reciprocal licensing agreements in the plumbing field with Minnesota, Montana, and South Dakota.
This includes that a licensed plumber from these states will just need to present both a copy of their license and a Certificate of Endorsement from the state that issued their license so as to apply for a North Dakota license.
He/she will not need to pass any kind of exam.
For example, a licensed Journeyman or master plumber from Minnesota can apply for the equivalent license in North Dakota if they are a resident of Minnesota and their existing license is up-to-date.
When it comes to licensed plumbers from other states, they can be considered for application in North Dakota but only if they meet the necessary requirements.
North Dakota Master Plumbing License Requirements
It is obligatory that a Master plumber in North Dakota must work as a Journeyman for a required period of time before they can apply for a Master’s license.
The prerequisites for North Dakota Master Plumber License are as follows:
- 21 years of age;
- Four credit hours of “Continuing Education” which requires the approval of courses by the North Dakota State Plumbing Board, completion within two years, and $30.00 pre-paid fee.
- At least two years of experience as a Journeyman plumber (3400 hours);
- An application sent to the North Dakota State Plumbing Board which expires within six months if the applicant does not complete their examination within that time period, and requires a $200.00 fee.
North Dakota Plumbing Journeyman License Requirements
In North Dakota, according to the North Dakota State Plumbing Board, a Journeyman plumber is required to have a general contractor license in addition to the Journeyman license for their specific field.
Journeyman plumbers must fulfill the following prerequisites to be allowed to get a license:
- Four credit hours of “Continuing Education” completed within two years and through a course approved by the North Dakota State Plumbing Board.
- $30.00 pre-paid fee;
- At least four years of apprenticeship and 7600 work hours under a licensed Master plumber:
- Plumbers with at least five years of plumbing experience in an area where a license is not required may apply to participate in the Journeyman plumber examination if they can provide four affidavits that support their claims of experience in the field.
- An application sent to the North Dakota State Plumbing Board which expires within six months if the applicant does not complete their examination within that time period and $100.00 fee.
Plumbing Journeyman and Master Exam
A Journeyman or Master license is available to applicants who pass the state’s Journeyman or Master exam.
The exam costs $25.00 for Journeymen and $35.00 for Masters.
In case you fail the exam, you need to wait for at least six months before you become eligible to re-take the exam.
There is a $75.00 fee for the Journeyman license and $165.00 for the Master license, which is included in the application fee.
North Dakota Plumbing Apprenticeship Requirements
An Apprentice plumber can be in a school-work program or can work under the supervision of a journeyman or master plumber.
The latter is required to submit an application form to the state plumbing board within 30 days of beginning his/her apprenticeship which is at the same time their license application.
North Dakota Plumbing Apprentice Jobs
Being an apprentice includes the process of getting valuable experience and training while at the same time being paid for your work.
You cannot expect to earn too much as an apprentice, but the more you advance, the higher salaries will be.
It is our suggestion and definitely one of the best ways to find a plumbing apprenticeship by searching online job boards.
We offer you a few examples:
Plumbing Trade Schools in North Dakota
If you prefer going to trade schools or other colleges rather than working as an apprentice, there are schools in North Dakota that offer vocational courses in plumbing:
North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton, ND:
Tuition (in-state): $5,184.81
Contact Info: (800) 342-4325
Address: 800 6th St N, Wahpeton, ND 58076
Turtle Mountain Community College within the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indian Reservation:
Tuition: Approximately $1,000 for 12 credits (the plumbing program is 17 credits)
Contact Info: (701) 477-7862
Address: 10145 BIA Rd 7, Belcourt, ND 58316
How do I renew my North Dakota plumber license?
You will need to complete 4-hours of state-approved continuing education by December 31st of even-numbered years and pay the License renewal fees.
This license will expire on the thirty-first of December the same year it was issued and they need to submit a renewal application within 30 days.
Fees for application scale up over time:
- 1st year- Up to $20.00
- 2nd year- $30.00;
- 3rd year- $40.00;
- 4th year- $50.00;
- 5th year and beyond- $75.00
- Master Plumber – $165.00
- Journeyman Plumber – $75.00
They need to be working four years under a master plumber in order to progress to Journeyman licensure.
North Dakota Professional License Search
The North Dakota State Plumbing Board provides a current listing of the state’s licensed plumbers of all levels and license types on their website and you can look for a person to hire or to start your apprenticeship and if he/she is on this list, you can be sure that his/her license is active.
The average Plumber salary in North Dakota is $53,975 and it varies from place to place.
Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Plumbers in North Dakota
City Name Salary Fargo $53,929 Bismarck $53,578 Grand Forks $50,204 Minot $52,716 Mandan $53,578 Dickinson $52,716 Jamestown $52,891 West Fargo $53,929 Williston $52,716 Wahpeton $53,067